Notice: Untraditional post to follow.
Includes: Random photos I like, trivia, friends, and a fun award!
– Have at least two women in the cast
– Who talk to each other
– About something other than a man
It’s eye-opening to realize how short the list of movies that pass actually is, but I’m happy to say that, in lived experience, I pass the Bechdel test every day because of my friendship with the Roomz.
The Roomz, it turns out, is connected to a whole network of smart, funny, thoughtful women, and getting to meet them and hang out with them is something I don’t take for granted. This week, one of those ladies, Lauren from Food E., nominated me and the Roomz for Liebster Awards (thanks!). As some Google digging has told me, the Liebster Award is an informal blog award that gets passed from blogger to blogger. In German, Liebster, means something like “dearest” or “beloved,” and seems to have to do with kindness and caring.While I think the Roomz deserves this more than I do (she just started her blog, Love Buck Dispatches, in response to the storm of horrific news in the past weeks, as a place for sharing acts of kindness), I’m so excited about this! Originally, the award was meant to shed light on up and coming bloggers. It’s got all these fun rules, too: After receiving the nomination, the blogger must:
1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself
3. Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you
4. List 11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers (as best as you can tell based on the info provided!). They should be bloggers that you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers that you nominated to answer; and
6. Let all of the bloggers know that they’ve been nominated. You cannot nominate the blogger that nominated you.
11 Random Facts about Randle
1. The first thing I ever cooked was scrambled eggs, but I accidentally used corn syrup instead of oil or butter or something. I ate them anyway.
2. The second thing I made was fried rice–it was a smashing success.
3. I have a crippling fear of waves (the hyperventilating kind) matched only by my love of water (the six-hour prune kind). (I consider wave pools cruel mockery.)
4. When I was 12, I went through a musical theatre phase in which I watched Cats daily and rigged up leg warmers and bath robe ties to look like the actual people in costume. There was face paint.
5. My fiance and I got stood up and ended up at a Nascar race together. It was our first date. I really don’t like Nascar, but now we go every year. It’s tradition.
6. In my teens, I went through a “tea” phase, in which I ate buttered bread and drank herbal teas after school.
7. I was born on Halloween.
8. I used to sing in a jazz band.
9. I love Rome and Paris for all the typical reasons. In Europe with my cousin during the summer of 2011, I actually went about a month eating gelato at least once a day. Pistacchio and nocciola are by far the best. On that same trip, cuz experienced the hangriest hanger I’ve ever displayed. I’m still sorry.
10. I wish my brothers could live with me for life, but my fiance probably wouldn’t be down with that.
11. I’ve read the entire Harry Potter series four times, and the Narnia series thrice. Lauren Food E.’s questions pour moi:
1: If you could be any animal, which animal would you be?
African Gray parrot (not caged) OR an elephant.
2: What’s your sign?
Scorpio, obviously. Can’t touch dis.
3: Do you have any tattoos?
Only the permanent lead mark in my forehead from where I fell on my pencil in third grade Sunday School class.
4: What is your death row meal (aka the last meal you’d choose if you were ever on death row)?
Corn fritters, Frito pie, duck leg confit, risotto with leeks and fennel, hazelnut and pistachio gelato (one scoop each) in a waffle cone, dark chocolate souffle with Chantilly cream, one chocolate peanut butter bar. I’m assuming indigestion won’t be a problem… …
5: What would your friends say is your best quality?
Sometimes, after a beer, I’m less uptight.
6: It’s Friday night at 9PM – where are you?
7: If you had to pick one city to live in for the rest of your life, what city would it be?
Paris Rome Paris wherever my fiance and I get gainful employment Amsterdam? (what?)
8: What one person has shaped your life the most?
9: What is your favorite candy?
!!!! One favorite??? Oh, that’s easy–Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
10: What is your greatest fear?
That palm readers know what they’re talking about. That the last song I hear will be something like Ke$ha or Akon, and somehow all my family and friends will know.
11: Pie or cake?
Pie — because pecan pie exists, crust is crispy, and cake icing is hit or miss.
1. Best dog you’ve ever known: name, breed(s), reasons.
2. What food are you afraid to even try cooking?
3. Define “feminism.”
What are your limits with sushi and other raw proteins?
4. Beyonce or Ellen?
5. First meal you ever cooked?
6. Most embarrassing moment?
7. What was your prom dress like?
8. Monkeys, yay or nay?
9. If you could only visit one vacation spot for the rest of your life, where would you go?
10. How do you take your coffee?
11. If you could spend a day with any single person who has ever lived, who would it be? My nominations!
Erm…the problem is that I’m still just getting started, and my main nominees would have been Kerri at Love Buck Dispatches and Lauren at Food E. I guess this means I need to work on getting to know the names behind my favorite blogs. These are a few of my favorite reads right now, though:
1. Melisa at Warm Toasty Muffins
2. Kiara at Words from Ward Four
3. dolly and oatmeal
4. Shanna at Shannanigans
5. Caitlin at Eating in, out, and in between.
6. Lattes and Leggings
7. Homemade with Mess
8. Katie at the Kitchen Door
9. Mama’s Gotta Bake